Selecting A Local Mover
Deciding what moving company you want and trust to move your valuable possessions can be difficult.
This is not the time to be shy!
Make sure you fully understand the services the moving company offers and the rate at which those services can be provided. It's also wise to check your state's moving and storage association to learn local regulations that apply to movers in your area.
Below is a list of questions you should ask your mover as you shop for the perfect fit.
- Is your moving company licensed?
- Does your company charge by the piece or by the hour?
- Do you have a minimum charge? How do you charge after the minimum is met -- in 15-minute increments or every half hour?
- Do you charge extra for larger items such as piano moving, large screen televisions, or any extra flights of stairs to move items on? (This is not unusual.)
- Do you charge for the travel time from your office to my home?
- Do you charge extra for moves in the evenings or on the weekends?
- What payment options do you offer? (Many companies require a deposit.)
- Do you have full-time employees or do you use temps and day labor? (Be cautious of companies that use temps or day labor because they may not be properly insured.)
- Do you carry Worker's Compensation for your employees?
- What kind of training have your movers and drivers completed?
- Are items insured during the move? (Even if a mover is bonded and insured, it doesn't mean that your items are covered during the move. Some states require that a company put a valuation of 60¢ per pound of coverage.)
- What kind of cancellation policy do you offer? (You should always be able to cancel or postpone until a few days before your move.)
- Do you offer free moving quotes? (For homes larger than three bedrooms, try to get an on-site estimate done. Be thorough in identifying all the items you need moved. Don't forget the basement and the attic.)
- Do you have any suggestions on how to make the move easier? (Movers who care about customer service and making your move a positive experience will do all they can to help you.)
- Do you have a contact number for the day of the move should any challenges arise?